Sunday, November 18, 2012

Winter Hat with Welted Brim

 Having lost all his hats, and feeling the cold of winter come on, my sweetie asked me to make him one.  On of my many favorite yarn stores, The Textile Arts Company, was having a sale a few weeks ago so I headed over.  Among other things, I found this lovely variegated 100% wool:  Wisdom Yarns Poems in Olive Grove.  I bought two skeins and got to work.

On US 9 needles, I cast on 60 sts holding the yarn double, and knit one round, followed by one round of purl.  I continued this, knitting alternate rounds of knit and purl, for about 12 rounds, then went to stockinette.

When it was long enough, I started decreasing every other round, starting by knitting two together every 14th & 15th sts (six decreases per round).  And then it was done!  The wool is very soft, not itchy, and the color variation turned out really pretty.  Hopefully this one won't get lost until winter is over...!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment