Thursday, November 22, 2012

Wrap Cardigan

 My friend Jeannie had this beautiful wrap cardigan--it was exactly the type of sweater I'd been wanting to make for myself, and had yet to find a pattern for it.  I was desperate--you know how you know there is something you want to make, but just can't find someone who's designed it?  That's how it was.

So I borrowed it from her and laid it out.  I measured it, and decided what sort of alterations I'd like to make.  I bought some yarn, about 10 skeins of Cascade Yarns 220.  I measured out my guage on size US 8 needles, and then I did some algebra to figure out how often to decrease and increase.  Then I started.
It's basically one back panel, two large triangular side panels, and two sleeves.  It was monotonous.  I think for each side panel I cast on 90 sts.  It hits me mid-thigh, and that took a lot of knitting, a lot of time, a lot of note-taking, and a LOT of tally marks.  But my figures didn't let me down, and I am thrilled with the results.  You can bet I won't be throwing this one in the washing machine any time soon.

I love this sweater.  I wear it all the time.  It's the first thing I pull on when I wake up in the morning, or when I get home from work.  I wear it out over leggings or jeans.  Super warmy.  Who needs to pay a heating bill now?

I knitted a belt for it, and I also sewed some buttons on the side--I'm still deciding on my favorite closure.  I love the way it drapes around; it's very snuggly.
Thanks to my sis Jess who came over today to take some pictures of the sweater for the blog.  Happy Thanksgiving!





Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment