Tuesday, January 17, 2012

FairIsle Snowflake Earwarmer Headband

Well, I've been wanting to make a knitted earwarmer for a bit now, and since Jessica already got one for her birthday, I just went ahead and made one for myself. I've never used this method before and have been a little intimidated by it--following charts, keeping track... it all seemed so meticulous.

I found this pattern on Leandra George's website and it was so easy to follow. I softened the colors up using a lovely caramel base and a pale teal snowflake, using some homespun 100% wool yarn given to me by a friend. I love working with homespun yarn--the variations in texture and thickness make it so authentic. And the feel was wonderful; each time I worked it I could feel the lanolin on my hands.

I used my bamboo #5 US needles and it came out just a touch too big (I am *always* too lazy to knit a swatch first to check guage--that's what I get for it). I shrunk it a bit in the washer though, and now it's perfect.

It came in very handy today, as our first snowfall of the year started last night, having us up early for a long, long snow walk. Though I was covered in snow and got pretty wet, my ears stayed toasty throughout.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments: