Friday, January 13, 2012

Knitted Leg Warmers

On cold winters days like these I have a hard time getting warm in our wood-heated house.  And SNOW is predicted for the weekend!  Yay!  It's days like this when I get my craft on.  No, literally.  I get my craft on.  Over my second-skin Polartec tights and thick socks, I pull my new leg warmers and then slip into my felted clog slippers.  Toasty.  Throw on a sweatshirt and my cabled fingerless gloves and I'm perfectly set to curl up on the couch with a mug of hot tea.  Wardrobe is 50% custom home made, 100% energy efficient heat source.  I guess it's Mom who cranked it into us--if you're cold, don't turn up the heat, just put more clothes on.

I originally made the leg warmers because one of my November resolutions (yes, I make monthly resolutions; check out The Happiness Project) was to pay more attention to my attire and wardrobe and to dress up more often. My tendency is pretty tomboy drab.  Less jeans, more skirts; less clogs, more boots.  Naturally, an adorable pair of leg warmers peeking over my boot tops was called for.  I had no idea that I would really wear them around the house, every single day, without fail.  I love them so much.

I'm pretty tall, about 5'10", and one skein of Cascade Yarns Lana Bambu made one pair of mid-calf height leg warmers.  The yarn, a wool/bmboo viscose blend, was an absolute DREAM to work with.  Loved it.  Grab a second skein if you want them longer.  I used my current set of bamboo US #8 double points for one of them, and knit the other simultaneously on a US #8 Addi Turbo circular (this was my first time using one of these, after hearing all the hype, by the way, and I'm a believer!).  As such, I finished each leg warmer at the same time and they came out matching.  So that's a plus.

It's a pretty simple pattern, but if you want a printable download, feel free to grab it here.  Happy knitting, happy warming.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos. Love the writing. Love the pattern. Love this!

    ReplyDelete