Saturday, January 7, 2012

Infinity Scarf

I was at American Eagle recently and saw the cutest thing--a long circle of stripey stretchy fabric: a scarf with no ends. I had the hardest time describing it, but I knew I wanted one. Well, if something is makable, I typically eschew the idea of spending money on it--especially when I already have plenty of yarn on hand. (These scarves, by the way, are called "infinity scarves." I was informed thus by my hipper, younger sister Jessica.)

I hate making projects that take forever! Don't even get me started on the cardigan jacket sweater that I'm currently taking a break from. So I cleverly got out my connect-a-needle set with the longest connector, chose a ridiculously small needle size (#7 US I think?) and proceeded to cast on HUNDREDS of stitches. Rather than knit the width of it and then sew the ends together, I knit it lengthwise, and joined it in a round. I thought that would make the texture a little more interesting and unexpected. But it certainly did take forever.

Anyway, this project kept me going though a few weeks' of night shift lunch breaks, kept my fingers going all the way down the west coast in the passenger's seat on a recent road trip, and I finally finished it on the plane back north. It's 100% wool and it's VERY warm. Perfect for windy winter days--no worries about it coming unwrapped. I love the concept and I have a few more of these on my list of pending projects. This is the last one I'm knitting lengthwise, though--any future infinity scarves will be knit width-wise and sewn together at the ends.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: