Sunday, January 8, 2012

Slouch Hat -- Or, One of the Many Great Uses for Remnants

I found this pattern after a Google search for a basic chunky hat. And voi la, discovered the adorable Midnight Knitter. I heart her patterns. She may even inspire me to try crocheting again.

My goal was to make a quick hat in an afternoon, to use up some remnants I had floating around my knitting bag, and for it to be sort of interesting. I have cabled a few hats, but for the most part I make the typical K4 P2 ribbing, then stockinette to the crown.

So, holding my worsted weight blend double along with the lavendar mohair (now three strands), I also alternated a strand of chunky weight blue, purple and cream, for a total of 4 strands at any given time. The mohair made it SOOOOO SOOOOOFT. Dreamy.

It's pretty loose and floppy and I imagine I'll need bobby pins to keep it on. Sort of lazy beret style I guess. I'm not quite sure I got the shape of it right (that's what I get for diverging from the pattern in my choice of fibers) but I've just blocked it and it's lying flat by the fire. We'll see how it sits on my noggin when it's dry.

My SSKs didn't quite look like they do in the photo on the pattern. They almost look cabled. Which is fine. I did confirm that I'm doing them correctly, too. I like the more geometric look of MK's, though. Maybe I'll try again.

Super fun, easy project. That touch of mohair made it a total dream to work. And I love the colors. They remind me of Fashion Star Fillies :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment